Best Flat Iron Straighteners for Curly Hair
There’s nothing more lovely than a head full of curls, but sometimes you just want to straighten out your style. If that’s the case, then you’re in luck.
There are dozens, or possibly hundreds, of hair Straighteners on the market that claim to be perfect for curly hair. Which one is the best, though?
We’ve gathered together some tips and tricks to help you choose the best straighteners for your hair type, as well as the top flat irons for curly hair.
What Defines Curly Hair
Curly hair is defined as hair with curls. All jokes aside though, there are 4 hair types, each with its own subcategories. These types are numbered 1, 2, 3, and 4. Curly hair falls under type 2, subcategories A, B and C, and Type 3, subcategory A. Curly hair usually has a lot of natural body and volume, can be overly frizzy, and may be difficult to style.
Top 4 Best Flat Irons For Curly Hair
Here, we’ve gathered together the top 5 flat iron straighteners for curly hair.
- BaByliss PRO Nano Titanium Straightening Iron
If you’re looking for a healthy shine on your straightened hair, then the nano titanium plates on this unique and adorably blue flat iron. The nano titanium plates use infrared heating to provide an even source of heat while preventing your hair from scorching. The adjustable temperature settings make it the perfect tool for any hair type, from thin and wispy curls to thick and rich ones.
Full review BaByliss PRO Nano Titanium or Check Out Pricing Here
- Sedu Pro Ionic Ceramic Tourmaline Flat Iron
The tourmaline infused ceramic plates on this iron are perfect if you’ve got thick curly hair, because they move smoothly over the surface of your hair, preventing tears and snags. It has a fully adjustable temperature scale, and a high maximum temperature (450 degrees F) which is ideal for thick hair. It works fantastically on super frizzy hair as well, and reviewers on multiple sites rave about it. This is one of the best flat irons for curly hair in its price bracket.
Reviews, pictures and pricing on amazon.com
- Conair Infinity Pro
You don’t normally expect to see an economy brand like Conair on a list like this, but the Infinity Pro ceramic straightener has multiple benefits, including fantastically smooth ceramic plates and amazing heating power. This hair straightener is a bit larger than some of the other irons on this list with a 2” heating surface, but it is ideal for women with curly hair.
Full review of the Conair Infinity Pro or Check Out Pricing Here
- CHI Turbo Ceramic Flat Iron
This brightly colored ceramic flat iron is ideal for women with long or overly thick hair. The 2” ceramic heating surface is the perfect size for great lengths of thick and curly hair. It offers a variety of temperature options, ranging from about 180 degrees up to the maximum of 450 degrees F. It heats up quickly and it holds an even heat the entire time it is in use. Overall, it is easily one of the best irons on the market for all hair types, and it has the strength of the CHI brand to back it up.
Reviews, Pictures, and Pricing on Amazon.com
If you’re looking for a good flat iron for your curly hair, don’t go cheap. A steel or aluminum iron can snag or tear your hair rather than straighten it. Invest in a good ceramic or titanium straightener for the best results.
What Should I look for in a Flat Iron?
There are a few questions you should ask yourself before you pick up a new flat iron, including:
- What are the plates made of? – Not all flat irons are created equal and some plate materials work better than others. For curly hair, your best bet is going to be ceramic or titanium plates. Both of these are designed to glide smoothly over your hair, preventing snags and other damage.
- Does it come with adjustable temperature controls? – You’re not always going to want to use the highest temperature setting on your flat iron, because it could damage your hair. Thinner hair will require a lower temperature setting than thick hair.
- Does it shut off automatically? – If you’re prone to leaving your flat iron or other hair accessories on after you leave the house, then a flat iron with an automatic shut off mechanism may be the perfect thing for you. These are designed to shut off after a certain amount of time if they are not being used.
- How big are the plates? – Most flat irons come with plates that range in size from ½” in width up to 2”. The smaller plates are good for short hair or for areas where you require a bit of maneuverability (such as around the ears). If you have long or thick hair, you will want an iron with larger plates. It helps to save time and it works much more efficiently.
- What about accessories? – There are a lot of irons on the market that come with attached or attachable brushes and combs. These can make straightening your hair easier, or it can make it impossible. It’s important to consider this before picking up a straightener with a bunch of extra attachments.