Steam flat irons have been around for over ten years, and the technology has been evolving. We have recently tested the latest and best models of steam flat irons for you and put together this comprehensive guide no matter your hair type curly hair, straight, thick, or thin.
The best steam flat irons we reviewed-
- Agave Healing Oil Vapor Iron with Infusion, 1.25 Inch
- Calily Heated Hair Brush
- Xtava Time to Shine Steam Straightener
- Remington S8001G Wet 2 Straight Straightening Iron
- OSIR Professional and Digital Nano
- Remington S7230 Wet 2 Straight Flat Iron with Soy Hydra Complex
How do steam flat irons work?
When you press the flat iron against your hair, a steam flat iron will release steam while you straighten your hair. The steam is a warm moister that is designed to keep your hair from getting dry and damaged while straightening. You can also add oils and product into the water container to add protection and more moisture into the steam as its released into your hair.
Most steam flat irons have a comb built into the shaft of the flat iron so that only one hand is needed when doing a pass with the flat iron. The steam is also useful for helping with eliminating any frizz or static in the hair as the negative water ions neutralize any positive static.
Pros and Con’s of Steam Flat Irons-
- Smoother Shinier Hair- Steam flat irons provided a smoother and shinier finish than other flat irons. The steam helps offer a sleek look when used right.
- More Efficient- I have found it takes far fewer passes through the hair to get the desired straightness and look you want than a tradition flat iron.
- Gentler on Your Hair- Steam flat irons when right are far gentler on the hair when used correctly. Steam flat irons are good for damaged or easily damaged hair when used properly. If your hair is prone to dryness or breakage a steam flat iron is probably your best bet to get straight hair without damaging it. Even allure magazine agrees it ranked the number one iron for healthy hair a steam flat iron.
- Only Really Good For Straightening- Steam flat irons are great for straightening hair but if you want a flat iron that will also crimp, primp, wave, weave, and curl you might want to look at more traditional flat irons. A steam iron will not give you the best of results if you try for a waving hair experience. We would suggest looking at the Babyliss Pro for a broader range of styling technics.
- Filling up the Water Reservoir- Those who have longer or thicker hair be prepared to refill the water reservoir multiple times before you finished straightening your hair. On most of the flat irons that we have tested the water reservoir only last about 15-20 minutes. For those who have large amounts of hair or thick stubborn hair, this might not be enough time to get entirely done. It sounds petty but stopping and filling up the reservoir is something you don’t have to do with traditional flat irons.
- You can damage your hair- Any heated hair tool can damage your hair. Just like flat irons, steam irons can damage your hair but in a slightly different way than traditional flat irons. Traditional flat irons can dry out your hair, leaving it more susceptible to heat damage, breakage, or worse catching your hair on fire (think California forest fires during a drought). Steam Irons when misused can hurt you in two ways one the iron is releasing steam that just flat burn you if it comes in contact with your skin. Secondly, if you are not moving fast through your hair, the steam can cause a boiling like interaction with your hair. Adding water to your hair and then keeping the extreme heat on it for an extended time is the same as using boiling water on your hair. Again if you used properly, this should not be an issue we just want to be clear and cover all angles in this guide.
The Best Steam Flat Irons Around
We are in love with the Agave Healing Oil Vapor Iron. While this easily tops our list as the most significant investment, you would need for a steam iron it indeed is worth it. The Agave Healing Iron uses heating oil that is released once the flat iron closes around the hair. The oil vapors are released through tiny holes in one of the plates and infused with your hair.
You can see the oil seeping out of the refillable container and after you down styling you can feel the difference in your hair. We would typically not recommend steam irons for thin hair, but even our thin hair uses reported no damage and silky, healthy hair after use.
The unique formula that comes with the flat iron along with the unique delivering system in this straightener is everything you would want in flat steam iron or vapor iron. If you want the best steam flat iron on the market right now this is easily it. You can find it here!
The Calily Heated Hair Brush is more than just a steam flat iron. It’ performs like a professional flat iron that will actually get your hair super smooth and sleek by steaming it out while you brush without any damage to your hair.
That way you’re going to get plenty of moisture and your hair is going to be properly styled without you having to spend a lot of time washing it before you get started for the day. You’ll be able to improve the overall health of your natural hair as well, by making sure it’s less brittle and dry. But, if you’re not interested in steaming you can still use this iron without that feature, making it much more versatile for your hair.
Proven to be up to 10 times faster than a traditional flat iron, this brush iron is definitely going to become part of your morning routine because it really does make a difference.
Not only that, it can get your hair as straight as you want in as little as 2 minutes, meaning that your day is going to start off a whole lot better right away. You’re also going to love the digital LCD screen, the variation from 300-450 degrees and the smooth ceramic plates that give you just the right look. For safety reasons, it also has an auto shut-off when not in use.
The xtava Time to Shine Steam Straightener has 1” nano ceramic and tourmaline plates that are designed to work great with thin hair or with thick and coarse hair and the best part is that you don’t have to worry about overdrying. The steam helps to keep that moisture right in your hair where it belongs and give you the sleek look you want.
If you have thinner hair or more you can set the temperature all the way down to 350 degrees and if you have thicker hair it goes up to 450 degrees. With this straightener, you’re getting a whole lot in one.Not only is this a steam straightener but it also is dual voltage, so you can take it anywhere.
When you run out of water for your steam it’s super easy to take out the water tray and fill it back up so you can get right back to what you’re doing and just in case you forget, it has a 60-minute automatic shutoff feature that makes sure you’re always going to be safe. At less than $50, this is a salon-quality straightener at a fraction of the cost.
If you’re one of those people who doesn’t like to spend a long time washing and then drying their hair before straightening then the Remington Wet 2 Straight Iron is definitely going to be the one for you.
For around $50 you can choose between a 1” or 2” set of ceramic, tourmaline plates that give you the smooth and sleek look you’re hoping for. It has 26 different heat settings that are all digital, which makes it a whole lot easier for you to set exactly what you want.
Even better, this dryer helps you get just the right amount of moisture back into your hair even as it starts to dry and straighten. That means you’re not going to have any problem keeping your hair sleek and shiny even while you straighten it out. No more worry about frizz and static. This system even helps you figure out just what setting you need in order to have the ideal look for your style of hair from thin to thick and coarse.
The OSIR Professional is definitely something you’ll want to check out for yourself. At less than $50 it has a digital display with LED indicator to let you know exactly what the temperature is.
Then, all you need to do is push the up or down buttons to change the temperature to whatever you’re looking for. Because it has nano-titanium plates you’re going to get a much shinier hairstyle that’s really going to stay sleek for the entire day.
There’s a two-year warranty available on this flat iron and the dual voltage means that you’re going to be able to use this unit wherever you go, anywhere in the world. In about a minute you can plug it in and be ready to go at any temperature that you want.
Plus, you’ll have no problem getting all of your hair just the right look in no time because it’s the perfect size for any hair. Just slip it in and you’re going to be ready to go, whether you want to dry your hair first or you just want to get right out of the shower and get going.
In about a minute you can plug it in and be ready to go at any temperature that you want. Plus, you’ll have no problem getting all of your hair just the right look in no time because it’s the perfect size for any hair. Just slip it in and you’re going to be ready to go, whether you want to dry your hair first or you just want to get right out of the shower and get going.
The Remington S7230 comes in a 1” or 2” version for less than $50. Even better, this hair straightener has the steam vents you’re looking for to keep your hair moisturized as well as offering soy infused plates that will add even more healthy benefits back into your hair.
It can get up to 425 degrees in as little as 30 seconds so that you’ll be ready to go in no tie at all. All you need to do is take a shower and start straightening because this iron works with wet or dry hair.
If you forget to turn it off the system will turn itself off in just 60 minutes so you don’t have to worry about any problems in your house.
Because of the temperature options, you’ll be able to straighten any type of hair and you’ll notice from the green light that it’s ready for you to go so there’s no more guessing if your iron is really up to the temperature that you want. When you add in the soy and steam you’re definitely going to be happy with the way your hair looks and feels when you’re done.
What it Means for You
Once you’ve picked out one of the best steam irons you’re definitely going to be more than happy to head out on the town. After all, you’re going to have hair that looks its absolute best.
Where many people with dry hair end up with frizziness from a flat iron, you’re going to end up with a great look. All you have to do is find the right steam flat iron and you’ll be in the best shape of your life.